Stripping Continues

by Josh on March 3, 2006 · 5 comments

in Bedroom,Projects

I haven’t been up to much around the house lately, but I have made a little progress on my paint stripping.

Previously I had applied an 80/20 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits to the difficult old primer on the bedroom door that did not come up with the Silent Paint Remover. Here’s what the door looked like after one round of the Silent Paint Remover and two coats of the linseed oil/spirits mixture:

door before SPR round 2

Since then, I went back over the door (well, part of it anyway) with the Silent Paint Remover to see if the linseed oil/spirits would help that primer come up. When I put the paint remover tool to work, I saw right away that although the primer didn’t blister like the paint coat had done, it softened and scraped off very well.

door after SPR round 2

The door still is a long way from perfectly paint-free, but I have to say I’m impressed with how well the boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits improved the paint remover’s performance with this old primer.

At this point I am afraid that the wood in the upper level the house may have always been painted. I need to test a window sash to be more confident of this, because I suspect that the door I’ve been working on is newer than the windows. If it turns out that the wood on the upper level was never stained and varnished, I’ll need to decide whether I want to restore the original painted look or continue to pursue a stained finish.

I bought the Silent Paint Remover partly based on its potential to remove paint while retaining the original stain in woodwork. Now that I know stain preservation is not an issue with this door, I can experiment with some other paint removal methods to see how I like them. Don’t worry, there is plenty more paint stripping to come!

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

sean March 3, 2006 at 6:32 pm

I have dealt with quite a bit of originally painted wood trim in my 1923 craftsman as well, and have “perfected” a technique for removing all of the paint and residue from the trim. I remove the initial paint with a heat gun, followed by several applications of paint remover – the first one or two I use a putty knife to remove 90% of the remaining paint, then follow up with another application of remover and use a combination of coarse steel wool and wire brushes to scrub out the paint residue. I also use sharp nails to dig out any corners or nail holes, and sometimes a sharp wood chisel to get out any stubborn spots. After I have done all that, I go over the item with denatured alcohol and steel wood to remove any paint remover residue. (Otherwise when you stain the wood it may be a little cloudy from paint residue) I then finish up with a good sanding and filling any flaws with wood putty. When all is said and done, there is not a trace of paint and the item looks like new. Since there is no patina of age, I use a couple of shades of wood stain to gat a close match to the trim that was originally varnished. My house is sort of reddish, so I put on a coat of Minwax red oak stain and follow it with Minwax Sedona Red I have also used the same “recipe” on new wood to make it match. I did a lot of practice to get a match, so I would use a scrap piece of wood to get the color right for your house’s trim.

Reply

Josh March 4, 2006 at 12:02 pm

Wow– great tips, Sean. Thanks! I’m definitely going to experiment with some chemical stripper, particularly now that it is getting warm enough to properly ventilate a workspace. And matching stain will be an adventure in itself.

Reply

Wensday May 10, 2006 at 8:52 am

I just bought the SPR to work on my 1922 American Foursquare, I too wasn’t sure about the cost but used part of my tax return!! I started on a door going to the basement that has about 6 – 8 coats of paint. It was orginally stained or varnished (still can’t figure out how to tell) and the SPR is removing the paint very well except for some areas where a residue or bits of the original paint remain. I have tried using a product called Oops and it is removing a little of the residue but it also appears to be removing some of the original finish. I have been afraid to try anything in fear the original finish will be removed. My next step is to try the linseed/mineral spirit mixture to see if that works. I want to leave the original finish as is. Great site – I love hearing your stories and it gives me hope that I can get this work done in my home. Keep the post coming as I am learning alot!

Reply

Josh May 10, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Glad you like the blog, Wensday. It sounds like you are getting some good results with your SPR– congratulations. I’ll try to post an update on my paint removal work soon.

Cheers,
Josh

Reply

Leave a Comment

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: