I am still working on removing paint from my first door in the south upstairs bedroom, and it would be generous to say I am half done with it. I made reasonably good progress using the Silent Paint Remover, so long as I applied a boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits mixture to the belligerent bottom coat of paint that the initial stripping process fails to remove.
The trouble, as I saw it, with that method was the number of steps in the process. If I could cut down on these steps through using another stripping method, I could get more work done faster.
As I contemplated the limitations of my heat-based method, I thought I would try some chemical strippers I had on hand. On Saturday, I finally got a few uninterupted hours to work on the paint removal, so I tried out a citrus stripper and a conventional methyl-chloride stripper each on a portion of the door I had not previously tried stripping.
The results were disappointing. Neither chemical product fared any better than my SPR when it came to removing the base paint coat in a single pass. Perhaps a little warmer temperature in the garage would have helped; it was several degrees short of the 65 degree F recommended working temperature. More than anything, I think the cool temperature just extended the time it took the chemical strippers to do their job.
So it’s back to the Speedheater/Silent Paint Remover for me. I have resigned myself to the fact that there is no “quick fix” when it comes to paint removal, so I’ll just put in my time and try to refine my system. I still have to try to speedheater/ chemical stripper combo technique that reader Sean suggested a few weeks ago, so I’ll work that into my process and see how it goes.