What a day! Plant shopping in the morning, the Twin Cities Bungalow Club House Tour in the afternoon, and some work on the third upstairs bedroom in the evening. I am so tired, I’m practically sleep-blogging.
I’ll post my thoughts on the bungalow house tour tomorrow, but tonight I wanted to post about my small progress on the bedroom restoration.
I decided that a managable project for the time I had tonight was to pull down the wall paper covering the ceiling. The paper was already coming up in a few places and even where the paper was well-adhered, but the lines between sheets of paper were getting intolerable for me.
The paper came off easily overall. I didn’t need to score the paper or soften the glue, I just loosened a corner pulled it off the ceiling. The only tough spot was around the edge of the ceiling, where some previous owner had installed a thin bead of caulk between the ceiling and the moulding to seal the room. The paper was sticking and tearing until I sliced through the caulk with my utility knife.
The ceiling that was revealed when the wall paper came off was not what I’d hoped for. It looked to me like the ceiling was made of particle board, but as I picked away at a small corner of the ceiling I discovered that beneath the 1/8th inch paper layer was plaster.
The plaster and paper layer are firmly attached to one another. It looks a bit like drywall installed with the wrong side facing the room. It is pretty bizarre. The paperboard is really baffling and I just don’t know what I’m going to do with it. I’ll have to poke around a bit more to see if I can learn anything else about the inside-out ceiling.
I’ll need to get a portion of the ceiling opened up to inspect the condition of the insulation. Depending on what I find, I may not need to pull down the whole ceiling. This could get ugly.