Fresh Bungalow Pies

by Josh on August 17, 2006 · 25 comments

in antiques,Journal

Bungalow pies panEvery now and then I visit a little online auction site looking for house parts and decorations. I found this nifty “Bungalow Pies” pan a few days ago and thought it would look great on my kitchen wall. We already have other functional wall decorations in the kitchen including a pot rack and a serving basket, so the pie pan will fit in well.

A google search for “bungalow pies” only yielded one hit– an ebay listing for a pie pan like the one I bought– so I have no idea what the story is for this item. Was there an old bakery called “Bungalow Pies?” Was this an incentive (“buy the house and get this free pie pan!”) to bungalow buyers? Or is this simply a contemporary scam to stamp “bungalow” on generic old pie pans and sell them for a premium to innocent, charming, dashingly handsome housebloggers? Who knows!

If it is genuinely old, it is probably from the bungalow heyday, when bungalow-anything would have been popular. The idea of a fresh pie cooling on a bungalow windowsill on a crisp morning must have sounded like heaven on earth back then. Actually, that still sounds pretty fantastic.

deb August 17, 2006 at 12:36 pm

i made a rustic cherry pie last night and i was saying to derek that if the window sit was big enough i’d probably put it there to cool.

good pie tin

jm August 17, 2006 at 2:19 pm

That is insanely cool! I wish that someone would remake those…

Josh August 17, 2006 at 3:11 pm

Deb, that rustic cherry pie sounds delicious. I do most of the cooking in our house, but I haven’t tried making pie that often. With Minnesota apple season just a few weeks away, it would be fun to go to an orchard then come home and make a yummy pie.

JM, I’m not sure how common these pie pans are, but there were two on eBay at the time I bid on this one.

Greg August 17, 2006 at 3:18 pm

How interesting. I wonder what the origin of it is?

Schmobes August 23, 2006 at 9:27 am

I was able to find a “Bungalow Pies” that several now deceased people worked for in South Bend, Indiana (the obituaries list it). I wonder if that is where it came from.

Nicole September 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm

It indeed came from South Bend, IN. My father knew the owners of the pie shop. I own a couple of pie tins from there too. Denniston’s owned the shop.

Josh August 23, 2006 at 9:53 am

Wow, Schmobes! That’s some great research. How’d you find it? That seems like as likely an origin for this pie pan as anything.

I picked up a plate hanger for the pie pan at the hardware store yesterday, so now I just need to consult with Ms. Bungalow about where the pan should go on the walls.

Elmer September 26, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Bungalow pies were made by the Bungalow Pie Company in South Bend, IN. My wifes Grandmother & my mother used to work there. I think it went out of business in the late 70’s.

Diane August 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I was best friends and lived 2 doors away from Louise Stephens, who’s family owned the Bungalow Pie Co. They made the best coconut creme pie I’ve ever eaten!

Diane August 10, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I should’ve said I was best friends with Louise’s daughter, Marla when we were growing up. Still….the family made the best pies!!! 🙂

Glenn March 7, 2010 at 9:23 am

I have 3 of these pans that I set aside when I wss a dishwasher at the Denny’s in South Bend in High School (1975/76). Bungalow Pie Company supplied almost all restaurants in the Michiana Area with pies that most customers believed were “home made” in the restaurants own kitchen. They delivered daily and made all fruit and cream varieties.

That pan is an original Bungalow Pie Company pan. I just put one just like it in my dishwasher after having the last piece of apple pie.

Phil July 22, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Yeah, Michiana. I just found two of them in a southwest Michigan thrift shop.

Josh August 7, 2010 at 7:21 am

Nice find, Phil. Gotta love those thrift shops!

Stephanie June 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm

When I was a kid, we would go out of our way through downtown South Bend just to smell the pies. Every once in awhile, dad would stop on his way home from work and pick one up. They were the best pies, well second best. My mom’s homemade pies were the best!

Anne Greenleaf July 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm

My dad worked at Bungalow Pie in South Bend, IN when I was a little girl. I remember going in there as a little girl and seeing stacks and stacks of pies. I also have one of the tin from when my parents passed away. One of those personal treasures that I will always keep!

Jan July 15, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I am sitting here in tears. I am a 63 yr. old woman and my husband, Bob, worked there for years. I also have a pie pan on my kitchen wall.
My husband delivered the pies in his Bungalow pie truck. Roy Denniston and his wife owned it. Roy’s sister ran the office. Their two boys also worked there in the bakery part, and I even
helped out one summer when the help couldn’t take the heat. I
was in charge of the pecan pies.
If there is anything you would like to know more about, let me
know. Lot’s of stories to be told. By the way, Anne Greenleaf is my niece, and her father was my husband’s brother. My husband was the one that got her dad the job. (did u say “small world”?)

Josh July 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Thanks, Jan (and Anne and Stephanie) for sharing your touching stories. It’s a great reminder that when it comes to antiques and thrift shop finds even the most ordinary things can be richly significant when you know a bit about them.

When people ask about the pie plate on my wall I’ll tell them about hot summers in South Bend, good smells in the air, and Bob behind the wheel of the pie truck.

Roberta Crawford May 8, 2013 at 10:38 am

We represent a Facebook website called Michiana Memories. The subject of Bungalow pies came up and we were wondering if you have any photos. Everyone has great memories or the building and their product, but we can’t find any photos. Thanks in advance for your efforts. If you would like to join the group, please let me know. We have over 300 members.

Nicole September 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

My late father, Peter Mortakis, was friends with Roy Denniston. Thanks for the memory!

Jeanine April 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Your right Elmer, I am from South Bend, Indiana and I remember eating those bungalow pies. They were sold in restaurants and my parents use to buy the day old ones downtown on Michigan St.

Pam May 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I have 2 of these pie pans. My mom had them and I think she got them from her mother. Can you tell me how much they are worth I would be willing to sell mine?

Greg April 8, 2014 at 3:25 am

I remember these pies. I lived a few houses down from their daughter Marla on Diamond Lake in Cassopolis, MI. I dated Marla from 1977 to 1979. They made some wonderful pies.

Evelyn May 30, 2014 at 5:54 am

My Dad worked at Bungalow Pies from around 1950 to 1963, delivering pies. They really were homemade and delicious. I too have a old pie plate that I cherish. We were close with the Dennison’s, Dad golfed with them, went water skiing with them and even vacationed with the family. Great memories.

Gary April 6, 2015 at 12:46 pm

My parents were very good friends with the owners. We shared a love for horses and rode many hours together with Roy. The pie shop was my first job I ever had. I used to wash the pie racks and the delivery trucks on the weekends working with their two sons Ron and Rod. We were friends as well. Yes I used to have to wash those pie pans as well. My brother and I shared the same love for their graham cracker cream pie. But all of their pies wet the best commercial made pies made. They were made for many restaurants and markets throughout southern Michigan and northern Indiana.