Open Letter To The Rabbit

by Josh on June 25, 2007 · 6 comments

in Gardens

rabbit

Dear Rabbit,

I’ve seen you and your friends munching on my front landscape garden for weeks. Today, I finally caught you on camera hiding under my hydrangea. Don’t try to deny it. You have eaten the daisies, and probably some other plants, too.

But you’ve left my vegetable garden alone. I guess I should be thankful, but I’m starting to take it personally. You would rather eat landscaping than delicious vegetables? What’s wrong with my veggies? Are you too good for my veggies, you little long-eared mooch?

I’m sorry. It was rude to call you a name– I know you’re sensitive about your ears. Still, those fences around the garden aren’t impenetrable. The dog isn’t outside all that much. If you really wanted to eat my veggies, you could do it.

I know I’m not the greatest gardener, but aren’t you being a bit cruel? Couldn’t you just nibble a basil leaf to keep my confidence up? It’s in your best interest for me to keep gardening, you know.

I’ll tell you what: You don’t even have to eat any veggies. Just let me catch you hanging out in the vegetable garden. I’m busy and a bit dense– I won’t even notice you didn’t eat anything. I’ll just think you couldn’t resist my delicious veggies.

After all the daisies you’ve eaten, it’s really the least you can do.

Cordially,
Scary Giant with Camera

Jason June 26, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Hilarious – thanks for the laugh! Love your blog by the way, lots of great entries. I’ll definitely be coming back to read more.

1916home.net June 26, 2007 at 7:03 pm

Oh someone beat me to it! This is too funny! It reminds me of when I had a rabbit in my backyard as a pet. Then, I got another rabbit, not realizing they would mate 🙂 In a few months I had 8 rabbits, then several months later I had 50 rabbits… It got out of hand, but it was hilarious seeing tons of rabbits jumping around when my mom would open the back door. I dont think she was too happy 🙂 Finally, one day, someone left the side gate open and the 50+ rabbits escaped (I hadnt quite figured out what to do with them yet since they multiplied so quickly). I came home from school and the rabbits ate all my moms daisies and other really nice flowers… just the petals. I’ll never forget seeing a garden of just stems everywhere. Too funny! Thanks for the laugh! and excellent website. Im a fan for sure!

TopVeg June 27, 2007 at 7:26 am

Hi

We can send you a couple if you like!

TopVeg

Josh June 29, 2007 at 3:47 pm

@Jason & @1916home: I’m glad you liked the rabbit story– sometimes you’ve just got to laugh at the things that come up as a homeowner. Thanks for the recommendations of the blog, too. I appreciate it.

sam howard July 23, 2007 at 9:50 am

As a rabbit we want to apologize for not eating your vegatables….our group is big but harmless..
If I could go to burger king or macdonals I would.
It is hard to type with my paws…please excuse
errors…sam

Josh July 23, 2007 at 3:02 pm

That’s all I ask, Sam. Just a little peace, love and understanding.

P.S. You’re not missing anything at McDonalds.