First Date With The Truck: Mulch

by Josh on July 9, 2007 · 7 comments

in Gardens

Truck and I went out on our first date to one of the free mulch piles in the city parks. Yeah, I looked pretty cheap going for the free stuff, but I’d end up broke if I let Truck fill up with frou-frou cypress mulch. Truck can really pack it in, if you know what I’m saying…

Mulch pile and bikers

The people-watching at the park was great. Just look at all the happy people (in the top-right side of the first photo) running and biking away from the mulch pile. It’s almost like they would rather be recreating than shovelling wood chips on a sunny summer morning. Weird.

Mulch in truck

It took two truckloads of mulch to cover the boulevard garden and side yard to a satisfactory level. I’m certain I could have found a home for a third truckload, but I was feeling pretty worn out from my date with Truck. This was the first time in three summers that I had refreshed the mulch in these areas and they were definitely due, so Truck couldn’t have come along at a better time. It was one of those rare occasions when I was glad to be set up by my parents.

Boulevard Garden Mulched

Now that I know what a great date Truck can be, I might ask to see Truck a bit more often.

ranty July 9, 2007 at 1:31 pm

That’s exaaaaaactly how I spent my weekend as well – city wood chips and all.

Josh July 9, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Great minds, eh Ranty?

1916home.net July 9, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Wow, I wish I had a truck!! >:| Who cares about the wood chips!

Josh July 9, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Well, I don’t have a truck, either ;) , but I’ll agree that it sure has been useful.

StuccoHouse July 9, 2007 at 11:37 pm

I was hauling wood chips the last time the temps hit the 90′s ;-) It’s weird how you think there is now way you will be able to use all of the wood chips you haul home….and then they cover 1 sq ft.

Josh July 10, 2007 at 10:22 am

Isn’t that the truth, Stuccohouse! On my first load, I figured I had so much mulch I gave a heaping wheelbarrow load of it to a neighbor who was out working on her boulevard garden. Then as I started spreading the mulch on my gardens I quickly realized I was going to need multiple truckloads.

TonyT January 11, 2011 at 4:08 am

It is hard to accurately estimate jobs like these. I had the same problem pea rock for a deck.