Tip: Plant Staking Tape

by Josh on December 7, 2007 · 6 comments

in garden,Ideas

The lemon trees I’ve been growing from seeds saved while making lemon gelato in the summer of 2006 have finally gotten big enough to require staking. Because the saplings are on display inside the house, I bought some real plant staking tape that would look better than the strips of old t-shirts that I’ve used in the vegetable garden during the summer.

garden ties on lemon saplings

While rearranging my home office recently (trying to get a better signal for our public wifi connection) I realized the velcro-like plant staking tape would also work well as cable ties for all the wires coming off the back of my tired old Dell. Check it:

garden ties on cables

This was an easy, fast, and cheap way to fix the problem of tangled, overlong cables. Give it try! And tell me about your favorite creative solutions in the comments.

Sandy December 7, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Wish I had thought of that! I used bread ties! LOL

Josh December 13, 2007 at 8:46 am

I used to use rubber bands but they dry out and snap or hold the cords too tightly. Bread ties are a good idea, too, though several of my cord bundles would be too big for a bread tie to handle.

Josh December 14, 2007 at 10:45 am

As a parent of young children, I have to say those toy ties are the worst! It takes the child 10 seconds to unwrap the gift and then it takes the adult another 10 minutes to free the toy from it’s sadistic packaging. They would be great for what you’ve described, Sandy– excellent reuse idea. I’ve always just thrown away the toy ties, spitefully muttering curses while I do.

Sandy December 14, 2007 at 10:05 am

Actually, I call everything that “twists” a bread tie…. I save the ties that hold the grandkids toys into those packages or that hold cords together from electronid purchases because they are MUCH longer than normal bread ties… I figure my reusing that stuff is better than it ending up in a landfill somewhere!

Sandy December 14, 2007 at 10:06 am

I meant to say electronics….. Duh!

Sandy December 14, 2007 at 1:25 pm

LOL

Been in that “spitefully muttering curses” spot many times — it usually has something to do with taking an object out of packaging designed to keep all but the crooks out of it!