If you’ve missed the terrific recent posts on window restoration over at Stuccohouse, do yourself a favor and check them out. The photos and instructions she provides are are excellent supplements to resources like Terry Meany’s Working Windows.
Inspired by the latest entry in Stuccohouse’s window series in which she strips the paint from window hardware, I decided to try out her method with the sash hardware from my bedroom project upstairs.
Here is what the hardware looked like when I started:
And here is the same hardware after being boiled for 30 minutes in a weak water and baking soda solution, lightly scrubbed of any remaining paint and polished with fine steel wool and oil:
(Looks like I need to do a bit more polishing on one of those window catches!)
This is a great weekday night project when you might not have time for something that requires you to get more dirty. Also, for safety, it’s a good idea to wear gloves and eye protection. Although the paint on the hardware acted like latex, I strained my dirty paint water through a few sheets of paper towels in my utility sink and disposed of the paper and paint bits in my bucket for contaminated trash.
Thanks for the great (and cheap!) project tip, Stuccohouse!