Dam, Pigeons

by Josh on April 10, 2008 · 7 comments

in Journal

A biology textbook might tell you that beavers are nature’s dam builders, but the pigeons at my place merit at least a footnote in that chapter.

Behold the Disgusting Roof Dam of Pigeon Filth!

Pigeon Dropping Dam

I’ve been having trouble with water leaking through my porch roof lately. Though I don’t think the problem is caused by pigeon poop, it certainly can’t help matters to have a pool of standing water created by the damn pigeons pigeon’s dam on my roof above the porch.

Obviously the spikes I installed nearby haven’t stopped these “stool pigeons” from roosting, so I will have to take additional measures this Spring to make this spot less appealing to the birds. To address my immediate water problem, I climbed out onto the treacherous wet roof with a rubber push broom and swept away the dam away as best I could. Some of that mess is unavoidably going to end up in my gutters– what a nasty cleaning chore that will be.

I really, really, really, really hate those pigeons.

Sandy April 11, 2008 at 8:12 am

Did you know pigeons are afraid of owls? If you put phony owls up, though, they have to move or the pigeons will figure out they aren’t real.

Josh April 11, 2008 at 9:17 am

Good tip, Sandy. Actually, I’ve got a fake owl. I haven’t put it up because I know it will be tough to move often enough to be effective. (And I don’t really want to be “that house” with the goofy 2-foot tall fake owl sitting in public view on the roof.) Desperate times, though…

fred@opc April 11, 2008 at 9:25 pm

I just found a dam near my house this week – never knew it existed – its like 100 feet long and 20 ft. high too – constructed by dam people (not pigeons, I assume based on the concrete construction).

WRT the owls: my parents have fake owls with heads that bobble back and forth. Scares the crap out of birds and small poodles as well (witnessed that). I’ll admit, the first time I saw one I thought it was real.

Sandy April 12, 2008 at 10:56 am

That’s the kind of movement the fake owls need.

ranty April 12, 2008 at 7:05 pm

Oh man, this post made me laugh!

Maybe it’s because I talked to my insurance agent last week about what fixes we had to do to get off the dreaded MN Fair Plan (aka the “no one else will insure your rickety, falling-down hovel” plan) and move up to market insurance, and one of the things she said was “No more pigeons.”

Er, what? Howwwww?

Our entire block is infested.

Josh April 15, 2008 at 8:19 am

Pigeons must be like house herpes– you can treat the symptoms, but they keep coming back.

I’m going to look into the owl bobblehead.