Cool Tool: Hand Pruners

by Josh on April 24, 2008 · 11 comments

in garden,Journal

It’s raining today, so I won’t be working on the gardens as I have each of the past few days. Fortunately, I’ve already had a chance to break in the sweet new set of hand pruners that I picked up recently.

I stopped by a swanky local mall yesterday morning to buy some antiquing solution at a brass and hardware specialty shop. After that $5 purchase, I strolled down to Restoration Hardware, where I found this two-piece pruner set on sale for $22 down from $39. My old bypass pruner is just about worn out, so I gave in to the impulse and spent 5x what I intended when I stopped at the mall.

Pruning Tools

Not that I’m complaining. These pruners are rock solid, sharp, and for $11 a piece, they’re a good deal, too. I’ve spend less on tools like this, but those tools had cheap springs, troublesome locks, or rubber handles that wore out. These pruners have a satisfying heft, and the wooden handles are attached to a continuous tang like on kitchen cutlery. There is little to go wrong with the simple wire loop lock, and the heavy wire spring will shed dirt more easily than the strap-style springs of some other pruners. With proper care, these pruners should last a long time and look great doing it.

Now, if only the weather would clear up.

Sandy April 24, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I have had some cheap pruners over the years. I always swear I won’t buy cheap ones any more when they don’t last or they hurt my hand. Then I’ll go and buy an expensive pair… they don’t last either, and then I’m back to the cheap stuff. My hubby finally bought a VERY expensive pair for a total song (about $5) because the hardward store was going out of business and they are the best pruners I’ve ever used. I will have to hunt them up (haven’t had to use them this year) so that I can tell you the name.

Josh April 25, 2008 at 9:39 am

Do tell, Sandy. I’m curious about your fancy pruners. It sounds like you got a great deal.

Sandy April 25, 2008 at 10:37 am

“What would 9/10 more “omg” actually be?”

I am totally afraid to even hazard a guess!!

Sandy April 25, 2008 at 8:29 pm

My pruners are FISKARS!

Josh April 25, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Too funny, Sandy– I think that’s the brand I just wore out and replaced!

stuccohouse April 25, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Hey…I have that exact same set. I’ve had them a few years and the handles get a very nice patina.

Josh April 29, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Sounds like you beat me to the deal, Stuccohouse. It’s encouraging to hear the pruners are holding up well for you a few years after purchase.

fred@opc April 29, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I’ve bought one thing in my history from restoration hardware. We had a $50 gift certificate from our wedding and we bought a solid iron candle latern. Its still in our bedroom and we still love it, although I don’t think I would have paid $50 for it originally if we didn’t have the gift cert. RH has a very niche look that I generally can’t fit into our decor. It’ll be interesting to see if the pruners hold up. They certainly LOOK great!

Sommer May 4, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I’m quite envious!

They really are beautiful…

Josh May 5, 2008 at 9:54 am

@Fred- I don’t buy much from RH, and when I do it is always on sale. That said, everything I’ve bought there has been of high and lasting quality. I expect the pruners will follow this pattern.

@Sommer- Thanks! I agree. 😉