Locally-Sourced All-Natural Pigeon Control

by Josh on May 5, 2008 · 7 comments

in Ideas

Some fellow Minneapolitans may have found the answer to my pigeon problems. Best of all, this pigeon control solution is completely green, VOC-free, locally-sourced and all-natural.

It’s a predator!

This video was shot by netclift about a mile from my place:

And Lost Forest After Dark shows what happens when a pigeon meets a hawk.

This isn’t a very selective pigeon-control treatment, so populations of squirrels, rabbits, and smaller birds might also decline after introducing a predator. Nevertheless, if a fake owl can be good pigeon control, a real owl must be fantastic!

ranty May 5, 2008 at 9:46 am

Ha, my first thought when I saw that was “where can I get one???”

I’d take a Coopers Hawk too in a pinch… wonder if there’s a way to attract them? Clearly the abundant source of dumb meat over here isn’t enough.

Jennifer May 5, 2008 at 10:29 am

Best way to take care of pests!

Sandy May 5, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Yes, indeedy! Definitely GREAT pigeon control. The falcons in downtown Detroit keep the pigeons on the run!!!

Sandy May 5, 2008 at 5:43 pm

p.s. I forgot to say that the owl is just beautiful. I love owls.

Josh May 6, 2008 at 11:10 am

@Ranty: After a bit of reading, it sounds like you can try to attract owls or hawks by building a perch or nesting box on a pole about 25′ high. However, it sounds like they don’t always hunt in the area right around their nest because it could alert other predators to the nest location.

@Sandy: My wife used to work in downtown Minneapolis where there is a similar falcon project to the one you describe from Detroit. She tells a story of watching a peregrine falcon snatch a pigeon out of the air and then make lunch of it on a ledge outside her window. It’s a bird eat bird world out there.

jenni May 7, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Atlanta has a falcon project, which at one time was sponcered by the Falcons….

There is a hawk that hangs out in our back yard. He can look over the ball field at the school behind our house and hunt.

I wish he would catch more of the squirrels in our yard.

Josh May 7, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Hmm… now that you mention the football connection, Jenni, maybe I could get a purple-shirted norseman to take care of my pigeons.

I’m jealous of your hawk. I would like watching him so much it wouldn’t matter that he didn’t catch all the critters.