The calendar reads May, but I have already “raised” all my summer garden vegetables. That’s because I spent my Saturday project time building up the garden plot.
I took on this project for two reasons: the corner posts were no longer strong enough to properly support the chicken wire pest fencing, and the soil level was mounding over the top of the raised garden bed. I want the fence to be stronger and better looking, and I want to add to the soil with composted manure; the garden bed couldn’t accomodate either of these as it was.
For this project I replaced the 2×2 fence posts with 4x4s and raised the bed walls with a new course of 2×6 boards. Because the fence posts only need to support some lightly stretched chicken wire, I chose to use short posts. Each is only 4 feet long, with approximately 8 inches below the level of the garden soil. These posts are supported mostly by the screws anchoring them to the upright boards of the garden wall but will be further strengthened when I add railing boards between the posts near their tops.
The new and old garden wall boards are screwed to the fence posts which will help hold the two courses of wall boards together. I also used construction adhesive on all contact surfaces of the garden wall boards to maintain a strong connection between the old and new walls of the raised bed. At the end I added decorative post finials to give the garden a finished look.
Still left to do on this project:
- Install the railing boards
- Stain the lumber
- String the chicken wire
- Add composted manure to enrich and raise the soil
- Plant the veggies!
I should have time to finish these remaining details this week.
As an aside, I was thrilled with using my new cordless drill on this project. Just as advertised, the lithium-ion battery ran strong through dozens of 3″ screws until it abruptly ran out of power near the end of the project. The drill performed the same on the second-to-last screw as it did on the first– a remarkable change in battery performance from the ni-cad battery powering my old drill. After 20 minutes in the charger while I cleaned up tools and debris, the drill was ready enough (on an incomplete charge) to drive the last few screws in the project.