That’s a word I don’t get to say or write often enough around here. At least not without conditions like “finished for today” or “finished part ‘x’ of much larger project ‘y’.” But today, I can say that the raised garden bed project is really completely finished.
In Part II of this story, the raised garden bed framing was in place, but it needed fencing, gates, soil work and plants. Over the Memorial Day weekend I found just enough time to complete all of these remaining items.
I used coated chicken wire for the fencing, which should last longer without rusting than the old uncoated wire I removed at the start of this project. I wish the green color of the wire didn’t clash so badly with the lumber, but it’s imperceptible at anything other than a raking angle or close examination.
For the gates, I had intended to build swinging wood framed doors, but instead I just installed a piece of the chicken wire at a lower “step over” height in the gate openings. I was already accustomed to stepping over the old garden fence, and eliminating the swinging gates allowed me to save a bit of money on lumber and hardware.
With the garden construction complete, I worked some composted manure and peat moss into the soil with my hand tiller, then planted my vegetables. Other than the lettuce, it looks pretty pathetic right now, but many items like the pole beans, carrots and beets are all just starting from seeds.
As a summary, here is a before and after comparison of the vegetable garden:
It feels good to be finished!
As pleased as I am with the garden, though, the real star of the backyard right now is the lilac hedge. It is in peak bloom and looks gorgeous draping the birdhouse arbor.