A day after I finished building the trellis next to the back steps, I decided the design still needed a little flair. I considered a few different ideas for adding some more character to the top of the trellis, but in the end I found my inspiration just glancing up at the roof.
That bracket picture above also shows a couple big projects-in-waiting. Almost all the brackets have those boards installed inside and above them, which I intend to remove. The board must have been intended as bird control, but I know there are less obtrusive ways to accomplish this. After the boards are removed, all the exterior wood will need to be scraped/stripped, treated, repaired and repainted. The paint is in pretty rough shape!