How Kids Learn Curse Words

by Josh on July 14, 2009 · 11 comments

in Journal

When a two-year-old child writes on your wood floors with a permanent marker, you can’t help but learn some lessons.

But how long does it take to forget those lessons?  For me, forgetting took just long enough for my next child to become two years old.  While I was making his lunch on Saturday, my son practiced his Sharpie skills.  This time the marker victims included my laptop, a radiator enclosure, the floor, my desk, and a couch.

Sharpie Netbook

Sharpie Radiator Cover

Like the first time a toddler tagged my stuff, I was able to remove most of the marker with denatured alcohol, baking soda and elbow grease.  And I’ve quickly remembered the lessons to keep my office door closed and keep markers out of reach.

With all the work it took to remove the marker, these lessons should stick with me.  I hope the same won’t be said of the blue language my son heard when I discovered his handiwork.

Jennifer July 14, 2009 at 12:34 pm

🙂 My husband learned his 4 letter words listening to his dad pay bills. A quoted conversation from his childhood… “Dad? What’s ^#&@?” “Don’t say that!” “But Daaad… what’s !#&@?” “Go to your room!”. 🙂

Stacy July 16, 2009 at 9:55 pm

so glad that my kid wasn’t the only Calvary kid having heard an oops or two from a parent! Now I can blame yours if something gets passed on right?

Josh July 17, 2009 at 8:41 am

@Jennifer- That’s classic.

@Stacy- Ha, wrong! My older son wasn’t home at the time and the two-year-old still isn’t talking a lot, so I think I avoided making a lasting impression. You may need to find another scapegoat.

Mom July 22, 2009 at 3:18 pm

What’s this “blue” language talk? You must have picked that up either at that unwholesome camp you worked at… or those years at that wicked college in G.R.!!( or else, Dad and I weren’t as discreet as we thought!)
It’s great when your kids become parents!!

jentastic October 9, 2009 at 7:22 pm

I think I love you.

Jules October 10, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I am sad to say that my 2.5 year old beat the pants off yours in the sharpie department two weeks ago. I’ve actually become known as the Sharpie Mom thanks to my post about it, and several people referred me over to you! Lovely. Because I want people to think of me when they see destruction. 🙂

Josh October 10, 2009 at 6:03 pm

@Jules/Sharpie Mom- My condolences on your marker incident. I didn’t even bother trying to get the sharpie stains out of my slipcovered IKEA loveseat, so I’m very impressed with your work on your sofa and chair. On behalf of my out-markered two-year-old, the Sharpie crown is yours.

Liz January 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm

if you dry-erase marker over the permanent marker, it might come off. works on a variety of surfaces!

Leslie January 8, 2010 at 1:18 am

rubbing alcohol takes it off, too

Josh January 8, 2010 at 10:25 am

@Liz- Thanks for the tip– I hope I won’t have an occasion to need it!

@Leslie- Yep, I’ve used rubbing alcohol in the past, too.