Change of Address

by Josh on June 3, 2010 · 4 comments

in Projects

Okay, this one took a long time even by my ridiculously drawn-out standards.  Way way back in October of 2005, when I was a newbie blogger about to mark the first anniversary of closing on this house, I bought some new house numbers.  They were mission-style and I thought I got a good deal on them, but I decided to wait until the spring to install them.  Why put this off?  Who knows!

As you can doubtless guess, by the spring of 2006 I had stashed away and forgotten all about the new address numbers.  My memory didn’t improve over the many subsequent months until a few days ago when my house painters temporarily removed the old house numbers to paint the porch trim.  When they asked me about how I preferred they reinstall them, I thought, “You know, I bought some different house numbers a while back and maybe I should install those instead.”

So, that’s what I did.

House Numbers

When I first tested out the numbers, it was clear that there wasn’t enough contrast between the dark bronze numbers and the “Natural Brown” trim color.  To fix this I cut a decorative backer plate for the numbers from some scrap 1/4″ plywood and painted it in the new “Relic Bronze” color of my brackets and window sashes.

Aligning the numbers on the backer plate was a bit tricky, but I used my carpenter’s square to keep a consistent placement from the edges.  Once I had the numbers where I wanted them, with the backer on a sacrificial work surface, I predrilled the holes for the mounting screws for each number.  Predrilling the screw holes preserved the number alignment, reduced the chance of splitting the backer, and made installation on a vertical surface go much faster.

Conveniently, my house number photo above shows two more projects yet to be completed.  One is the shocking white storm door on the porch that now looks really garish next to the rich, earthy trim colors.  The other is the 18-month-old building permit for the bedroom work, which you can see to the left of the house numbers.  I’d like to paint or replace that storm door so it is dark brown, but the bedroom comes first.  After all, I’ve been working on that room for almost as long as I took to install these house numbers.

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

kitliz @ DIYdiva June 28, 2010 at 10:32 am

LOVE those numbers. And the DIY back plate – I think they add just the right touch to the entry.

And really 5 years to hang the numbers isn’t so long by DIY standards. I didn’t have trim in my bathroom for that long, right up until I sold the place…lol.

Reply

Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House August 6, 2010 at 11:36 am

Hi there! I found you through the True Value linkup on TLC and Thrifty Decor Chick. I love these house numbers! I’m a bit hesitant to put my own house numbers up on my blog (once we change them like you did). Great site!

Reply

Josh August 7, 2010 at 7:14 am

Hi Sarah, you’re wise to be hesitant about sharing your address. I’ve never published my street address, my full name, or the names of any of my family members. That said, a few local readers have stumbled across the house over the years–usually accidentally while walking or biking the neighborhood.

Reply

mike August 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

I found your blog from the True Value blog too. And it turns out I live near you (39th) – Small world 🙂 Great looking house, my wife and I just bought our house a few months ago and have been renovating and upgrading since.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: