Cue the drum roll! Raise the curtain! At long last, I am pleased to reveal the completed Bungalow ’23 exterior trim painting, finally finished by our painting contractor.
Did I say the paint was “completed”? Well, not quite. Even with all the major trim repainted, there will still be exterior painting for me to work on. Other than the front porch windows, all the window sashes still need painting. I decided to take this on in the context of window restoration work I hope to do myself, starting with the windows for the project bedroom upstairs.
But even with the windows unfinished, I am very happy with how the paint looks. The brackets are my favorite part of the transformation. By removing the boards that had closed them in, the brackets became more detailed and visually interesting– and by accenting them with a brassy paint color the brackets pop instead of blending into the trim.
As pleased as I am with the finished product, the painting process was equally satisfying. The painting team accomplished in a little over two weeks what would have taken me every free minute of a whole summer to complete. They kept the site immaculately clean and kept me informed throughout the job. As I found with my drywall contractor recently, there are limits to what makes good do-it-yourself sense. Although I probably could have achieved results equal to what the painters did, the tremendous time and labor savings were absolutely worth the cost.
It feels wonderful to be (mostly) done.