A Brief Conversation

by Josh on February 15, 2011 · 9 comments

in Journal,Windows

“Good evening, sir.  I noticed that you have some older-style windows here.  Have you ever thought of replacing them?”

“Heavens, no.”

“Oh.  Well, thank you.”

mike @HA February 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

I noticed you have old hardwood floors, I can sell you some carpet and linoleum to cover those up if you’d like.

Connie February 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Ha! Nice.

Josh February 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

It was actually a weird experience because although WindowGuy had a car, (I watched where he went after he left my stoop) he was wearing a blinking red bicycle light on a string around his neck. I assume he was more concerned about getting hit crossing the street than appearing off-putting to the people he was soliciting.

Leslie @ NE Portland Bungalow February 16, 2011 at 9:57 pm

The way I read that, at first, was that he was prepared to talk you out of replacing them- ha!

susan February 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Oh that’s rich. I *hate* the prevailing opinion that just because something is “old” it needs replacing.

Brian February 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Hahaha! I wonder what comes to their mind, when they see old stuff being used.

beth Haiken February 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Yes and did you know you can get 4×8 sheets of 1/4 inch beadboard at home depot to replace all that old stuff you have?? That’s what people kept telling us but we kept ours – it’s 3/4 inch heart redwood. Still it’s nice that you were polite to the poor clueless guy.

Katrina February 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

We just had the same guy come here! Well, potentially the same. His first question was if we had ever thought of replacing our windows and we promptly also answered no way! He didn’t have a bike light though.

Kevsproreviews March 9, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Lol….I had a similar conversation like that. Only when I told the guy that my house was only a year old, he was like “uh, are most of the houses in this neighborhood about the age of yours?”
I said yeeess. He said “Ok thank you, have a nice day!” Haha….
It takes all kinds I guess…