Newton’s First Law of Air Conditioning

by Josh on September 26, 2011 · 7 comments

in Journal

An air conditioner at rest will remain at rest unless it is acted upon by a careless dolt (me) who doesn’t hold onto it during removal. An air conditioner in motion will remain in motion until it is acted upon by the mass of the planet earth beneath my backyard patio.

fallen airconditioner

This little accident could have been a lot worse if I hadn’t unplugged the a/c unit or if it struck my patio table, a window, an animal or a person. As it happened, it was just an embarrassing way to unnecessarily dispose of a cheap, 9-year-old air conditioner.

To prevent your own unplanned physics experiment, use two people to install and remove even small air conditioners, and build or buy triangular braces to support the weight of the air conditioner when the window sash is open.

Jan September 27, 2011 at 1:02 am

Scrap it. Scrap $$$ is way up.

Those AC units or so awkward to handle. Thankfully it did not land on your foot. Take it from me when it comes to dropping things on your foot.

Josh September 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

Good though, Jan. My city offers free appliance recycling/disposal, so I had planned to just do that, but getting a few bucks for the scrap is a nice idea.

mike @HA September 27, 2011 at 9:19 am

Oh man! That reminds me of the scene in Happy Gilmore when he tries to fix the window AC and it falls on a lady. I’m pretty sure it was staged and she was OK. We just took all our window units out too, no mishaps so far!

Josh September 27, 2011 at 9:49 am

Happy Gilmore, ftw! This a/c mishap definitely made me want to go to my “happy place.”

John @ Our Home from Scratch September 29, 2011 at 9:00 am

Just blame dark matter.

threadbndr September 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Ouch! At least on the part of the AC unit. Thank heavens that it’s demise did not cause any injury to passersby!

This little chore was already on the ‘to do list’ for Saturday (removing the AC, not murdering it by dropping it out the window LOL). Thanks for the safety reminder!

Anne October 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Yep, gravity still works. 😉 I’m glad there were no other casualties.