“Just don’t blow yourself up.” That’s what I’d hear from friends, family and even store clerks when I talked about my recent work updating the natural gas supply in the kitchen and installing a vintage Chambers stove that I had improved with an oven safety shutoff.  Well, it has been a month since I finished […]


From my history resarch, I know that there was a fire in my house a few years after it was built.  One fire is plenty for any house, so I have been making improvements recently to make sure fire safety here is up to snuff. Along with the new firelogs I have been trying, I […]


Taking Precautions

by Josh on December 18, 2009 · 4 comments

in Journal

The latest issue of The Small House Gazette, the newsletter of the Twin Cities Bungalow Club, featured an alarming story about a club member who exposed himself and his family to lead in the course of his home renovation. A couple years ago I tested for lead paint in several places around the house and […]